Happy Monday, Shirley-Mastic! Let’s get you all caught up on what’s happening locally to start today off on an informed note.
Here are the top 5 stories in Shirley-Mastic today:
- Come to the MMS Community Library on March 24 for the Puzzle Night! The Teen Department will provide snacks while participants work on a cool jigsaw puzzle with Ms. Erica. The event starts at 5:30 p.m. (MMSCL)
- “It continues to be an amazing year for William Floyd High School freshman and star student-athlete Zariel Macchia. After dominating the fall season of cross country, she continued to make her presence felt in track throughout the winter. She has won or placed in the top three in multiple races and secured All-American and All-State honors in the process.” (Press Release Desk)
- A mother was arrested while driving intoxicated with an infant son in the car. On March 19, police stopped driver Maria Carballo, 29, of Patchogue, who was driving intoxicated on North Ocean Avenue with her ten-month-old son in the back seat. The baby was handed to his father who later arrived at the scene and Carballo was taken into custody. (Smithtown Matters)
- Spring is finally here and Long Island’s outdoor amusement and adventure parks are ready for you! Click on the link to check out these opening weekends and plan your warm-weather fun. (LongIsland.com)
- The family and friends of Gabby Petito celebrated the week of what would have been her 23rd birthday with donations to help domestic violence victims. The Gabby Petito Foundation made a $23,000 donation to Suffolk County Vibes to help support their anti-violence mission. (Patch)
From our sponsor:
Today’s newsletter is brought to you by Ring, a Patch Brand Partner. We all know that Ring is the leader in video doorbells for home security. But did you know that Ring now makes a home security system that is getting raves from consumer electronic experts? (Reviewers at CNET called the new system — known as the Ring Alarm Pro — “a giant leap for home security”). So why the kudos?
In a nutshell: the Ring Alarm Pro can protect your home both online and off. It includes a built-in eero Wi-Fi 6 router to help you get reliable physical and digital security in one, innovative device. Now you can help protect your home with all of the benefits of the Ring Alarm, to keep your home safe and secure, while experiencing fast, reliable connectivity.
To learn more about the system CNET called “the future of home security” or to build your own custom system, you can visit Ring here.
Today in Shirley-Mastic:
- Family Literacy – MMS Community Library. (9:30 a.m.)
- Literacy – MMS Community Library. (11:30 a.m.)
- Guidance with Ms. Joseph – MMS Community Library. (3 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Make-A-Wish Suffolk County, NY: “Alice was only about a year and a half old when she was diagnosed with a very rare pediatric liver cancer.” (Instagram)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, North Shirley: “Another happy customer from Lake Grove. – Contact us today for your junk removal, estate cleanout, real estate sale cleanout or yard clean up. (631) 576-6830 Final Touch Junk Removal.” (Nextdoor)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, North Shirley: “We receive a lot of callbacks requesting our services for additional projects. This project started with a request to remove a heavy outdated entertainment center (which we were able to donate).” (Nextdoor)
- Michael G, Neighbor: “Egaming center have virtual reality.” (Patch)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Loving the Shirley-Mastic Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
Now you’re in the loop and ready to start this Monday. I’ll catch up with you bright and early tomorrow morning with a new update!
— Debora Whitehead
About me: Have a story idea? Please contact me! I would love to hear from you! Wife, mom, foodie, traveler, and nature lover.