Home Online Work Ospreys players apologise over appalling video as remorseful duo to work with...

Ospreys players apologise over appalling video as remorseful duo to work with homeless charity

13
0


The two Ospreys players at the centre of an investigation over a shocking video involving a homeless person have spoken for the first time after keeping their jobs.

Order Transcription Services

Matthew Aubrey and Callum Carson apologised for their actions and have been sanctioned by the region. They will now work with a homeless charity after admitting they let down their families.

The duo have been suspended since early last month after video emerged of a grim incident in Cardiff city centre. The footage, posted on Aubrey’s Snapchat account, shows team-mate Carson approaching a rough sleeper in Cardiff city centre before lying with his arm around them and thrusting his hips against the unidentified person from behind. The person appears to be asleep and unaware of what is unfolding. You can read that story and watch the video here.

Carson said: “Firstly, I would like to apologise to the person involved for my behaviour and lack of respect towards them. Then, I have to say sorry, to my family, my friends, my teammates and the Ospreys and the supporters for the embarrassment caused by my actions.”

Aubrey said: “I want to say sorry to everybody for what happened and there are no excuses for my behaviour on that night. I know how much distress and embarrassment it has caused everybody close to me and everyone involved with the Ospreys.”

An Ospreys statement read: “The Ospreys can confirm that a full and thorough independent disciplinary process has been concluded in relation to the incident on March 7th , 2022, involving Callum Carson and Matthew Aubrey.

“The Ospreys suspended both players with immediate effect after being made aware of the incident.

“Carson, 23, and Aubrey, 24, were investigated separately and during those investigations accepted full responsibility for their actions and demonstrated remorse for their behaviour.

“Both players are fully aware that their actions were totally unacceptable and of their responsibilities to the Ospreys and the wider community who they represent.

“The recommended disciplinary sanction has been imposed on them and in addition they will undertake volunteer work with The Wallich Welsh charity helping people who are homeless.”

Former Wales U20s international Carson is now 23 and also plays for Wales Sevens. The centre made his Wales U20s debut in 2018, while largely representing Swansea RFC. His first World Rugby Sevens Series appearance came in Los Angeles in February 2020. He made two appearances in 2020 in the Los Angeles and Vancouver legs before being selected for the squad’s recent return to the World Series in 2022.

Scrum-half Aubrey, 24, signed a new two-year contract with the region last year. He made his Ospreys debut against Harlequins at St Helen’s back in November 2016.

Neither player has been part of the squad since the story broke on March 8.





Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here