Professional cleaner shares the popular products that simply DON’T work – and the exact kit she swears by for a sparkling result every time
- Professional cleaner reveals a surprising truth behind popular cleaning products
- Kacie from The Big Clean Co says that bicarb soda and vinegar aren’t powerful
- They only leave behind salty water and says the bubbling effect just ‘looks cool’
- She suggests to those who want to clean with them to use them individually
A professional cleaner has revealed the surprising truth behind a popular cleaning product combination that’s praised by ‘experts’.
Kacie from The Big Clean Co, in Melbourne, says that bicarb soda and vinegar are not a powerful cleaning duo and only leave behind a salty residue.
The professional cleaner says whilst bicarb soda and vinegar are fine to use on their own, together they do not clean efficiently as they are opposite on the pH scale.
Scroll to watch video
Kacie from The Big Clean Co , in Melbourne, says that bicarb soda and vinegar are not a powerful cleaning duo and only leave behind a salty residue
The chemical reaction may ‘look cool’ when vinegar is poured onto the bicarbonate soda, however the bubbling effect is just them neutralising.
‘I think the people doing this missed the days we mixed these in high school science,’ Kacie said.
Instead Kacie suggests that if you want to continue using the products to use them individually for a better result.
The chemical reaction may ‘look cool’, however the bubbling effect is just them neutralising, Kacie suggests to use them individually for a better result
The professional cleaner has also revealed the products she always keeps in her kit while working.
While it’s common to use toilet cleaners, dishwashing liquids and microfibre cloths, Kacie from The Big Clean Co said she also uses magic erasers, cream cleansers, grout cleaner, non-toxic biodegradable glass cleaners and a variety of cleaning brushes.
‘We use a Pullman or a Henry vacuum – the size and suction are great; microfibre cloths and good glass cloths for polishing and shining,’ she said in the video.
Kacie has also revealed the products she keeps in her cleaning kit for while working, some of the products are magic erasers, cream cleansers, grout cleaner and brushes
Pullmans and Henry vacuums are commercial products designed to make cleaning jobs easier to complete, but often have a minimum cost of $299.
‘You knew I was going to say this, dishwashing liquid! We also use a citrus all-purpose spray but we’re actually making our own dishwashing liquid that we’re going to be able to put in a spray bottle,’ she said.
It may come as a surprise to some, but dishwashing liquid can be used to clean glass surfaces – such as shower screens.
‘We use a citrus all-purpose spray but we’re actually making our own dishwashing liquid that we’re going to be able to put in a spray bottle,’ she said
What’s in Kacie’s cleaning kit?
- Pullman vacuum
- Microfibre cloths and glass cloths for polishing and shining
- Duster with extension handle
- Dishwashing liquid
- Citrus all-purpose spray
- Non-toxic biodegradable glass cleaner
- Long life grout cleaner
- Bathroom cleaning brush
- Variety of brushes
- Magic eraser
- Cream cleanser
- Eucalyptus oil for mop water
- Neutral pH floor cleaner
- Toilet cleaner
To clean marble surfaces, Kacie uses a non-toxic biodegradable glass cleaner.
Grout cleaner is only used when deep cleaning the bathroom, otherwise dishwashing liquid, a magic eraser, squeegee and brushes are ideal.
Kacie said she also uses two different types of mops – a string mop or a flat mop for gloss tiles. Toilet cleaner, eucalyptus oil for the mop water and a duster with an extension handle is also included in the cleaning kit.
What are some of Kacie’s top cleaning secrets?
* Use a non-scratch sponge with Gumption or Bar Keepers Friend to clean soap scum from a shower screen with ease
* Always use a squeegee to remove water and then ‘polish’ or dry the glass with a microfibre cloth for sparkling results
* For sparkling windows use the $37 Sabco window cleaning kit from Bunnings that comes with a 12.5 litre bucket with a lid and handle. Pair it with a microfibre window washer, stainless steel squeegee and a microfibre cloth for the perfect finish
* Dishwashing liquid and water works very well to clean windows
* The #1 Kmart product for cleaning is the 2 piece pack of microfibre glass cleaning cloths – they are hidden in the car section